Most people would like to think they will never need short or long term care. Sadly, this is not usually the case for thousands of people and their loved ones. When such circumstances occur, they are ill equipped to deal with the bureaucracy surrounding assessments and care costs. In 2014, a newspaper article suggested that over 100,000 people may have wrongly paid care fees. This is due to the fact that families are not aware of their rights when it comes to assessments and funding streams, and do not know how to challenge such decisions when they are made.

The general scenario is that if an individual is assessed for care, and they have over £23,250 in savings or assets, then they are responsible for funding their own care. However, this is only a basic principle and is very complicated in terms of what assets and savings can be used to charge against care costs.

However, in some cases, if the nature of the person’s needs are complex, unpredictable and intensive, then this may indicate a ‘primary health need’ which means the NHS would be responsible for fully funding any care package. This funding is known as Continuing Health Care, and it is surprising how many people do not even know it exists!

In essence, local authorities provide social care, which is means tested to see what contribution a person should pay towards their care package. Conversely, the NHS provide health and nursing care, and this is NEVER means tested, meaning it is free! Moreover, this care can be provided in any setting, even in your own home. The authorities will not necessarily tell you these facts, or assist you to understand funding streams. They will often be more interested in what savings and assets you have, in order to protect their own budgets!

Chat to us today

    By using this form you agree with the storage and handling of your data by this website.

    Privacy Policy

    Safeguarding Futures Facebook Group

    The service we offer, mainly through our Facebook group is lots of free advice and support to empower you to challenge funding/care decisions. The only time we charge for care and support advice is if you wish for us to individually represent you or your relative with continuing health care claims and appeals, however we will only agree to this if we believe it to be a strong case. We can assist with the following:-

    • Requesting appropriate assessments (Continuing Health Care/Social Care)
    • Supporting you at meetings
    • Dealing with other professionals and signposting you to the correct people
    • Dealing with emails, correspondence and phone calls on your behalf
    • Advice in relation to your care needs, or that of a relative, and where to go to for help
    • Preparing questions for you to ask to ensure you receive the appropriate information
    • Assist you to challenge assessments and funding decisions if you feel they are wrong
    • Advice on types of care, e.g. Care in your own home or residential/nursing care
    • Advice on direct payments or personal budgets
    • Advice on how to identify good care providers

    This is not an exhaustive list, but an overview of some of the things we can help with. My experience in health and social care has helped many people to navigate through a time-consuming, and often frustrating process.

    Our passion is to ensure people get the services they deserve and to ensure that they receive the funding they are entitled to.

    If you are concerned about any of the above issues, then please do not hesitate to contact us for a free, informal discussion.

    Telephone 07904 480154/07795578700